Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Let's Pretend This Never Happened, by Jenny Lawson







If you read Jenny's blog, called appropriately enough "The Bloggess," then you already know what to expect, and that's exactly what you get. So you can go and buy this book, read it and laugh, and feel you understand a little more how this woman got to be who she is.


If you haven't read Jenny's blog--why not? What excuse do you have? Well, now you have  heard of it, so go read it now. We'll wait.


hmmm hmmm hmmmm

Back already? Okay! Now you know what to expect and you don't need this review.

For the sake of completeness, I will quote two sentences which sum up this book--its ethos, its humor, its recognition of the ridiculousness of life. They are as follows:


This probably would have been my exact worst nightmare of bringing a boy home to meet my parents, if I'd ever had enough creativity to imagine my father throwing a live bobcat on the boy I was trying to impress.

In my father's defense, it was a smallish sort of bobcat that my dad was nursing back to health so he could release it back into the wild, rather than one of the full-grown ones from the backyard.


Either you want to hear the rest of this story, or you don't. Act accordingly.


No comments: